The Institute of Veterinary Bacteriology (IVB) is dedicated to teaching, diagnosis and research of animal pathogenic and zoonotic pathogens. The purpose is:
- to support the treatment of diseased animals with the best diagnostics possible
- to prevent epidemics by an early detection of infectious diseases
- to examine the risks for human health of possibly transmissible pathogens in the context of public health, livestock and environment
- provides new insights into molecular mechanisms of virulence and host pathogen interactions of bacterial pathogens
- offers approaches to the development of new diagnostic, preventive and therapeutic methods in veterinary medicine
- makes important contributions to the molecular epidemiology of pathogenic bacteria and antibiotic resistance
As a national reference laboratory for antimicrobial resistance and for numerous bacterial pathogens of animal diseases we ensure quality of diagnostics.